WALKER AND WEEKS - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
WALKER AND WEEKS, Cleveland's foremost architectural firm of the 1920s, was founded by FRANK R. WALKER† (1877-1949) and HARRY E. WEEKS† (1871-1935). Both were Massachusetts natives and arrived in Cleveland at the suggestion of John M. Carrere, a member of the Cleveland Group Plan Commission. Both men joined the firm of J. MILTON DYER† before establishing their own practice in 1911.
Walker & Weeks were known as specialists in bank buildings, completing 60 throughout Ohio. In Cleveland, however, they were better known for their design of major commercial, public, and religious structures in classical revival styles. A partial list of their major projects includes the Bingham Co. Warehouse (1915); the Guardian (National City Bank) Bldg. renovation (1915); PUBLIC AUDITORIUM (1922); the FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF CLEVELAND of Cleveland (1923); the CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY (1925); the United Banking and Trust Co. at W. 25th and Lorain (1926); EPWORTH-EUCLID UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, with architect Bertram Goodhue (1928); First Baptist Church in Shaker Hts. (1929); ST. PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH in Cleveland Hts. (1929); Pearl St. Savings and Trust at W. 25th and Clark (1929); and the CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL STADIUM with the OSBORN ENGINEERING CO. (1931). From 1926 on, the firm occupied a building of their own design at 2341 Carnegie Ave. After Walker's death, the firm, headed by Howard F. Horn and Frank E. Rhinehart, briefly continued under its original name. Horn & Rhinehart then became the successor firm ca. 1953.
Last Modified: 27 Mar 1998 11:09:36 AM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University