Banner image            Home    What's New    Articles    Images    Subjects    Corrections    Advanced Search    Timeline    Maps    Multimedia    About
The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

UNIVERSITY SCHOOL - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

UNIVERSITY SCHOOL, a private college preparatory school for boys, was founded in 1890. Founder Newton M. Anderson, dissatisfied with the prevailing classical education, believed that young men who would become leaders of industry needed firsthand experience with machines. In addition to traditional classrooms, Univ. School contained a machine shop, forge shop, carpenter shop, swimming pool, and gymnasium. It had 100 applications for admission even before a building could be erected. This original structure, designed by CHAS. F. SCHWEINFURTH, was located at Hough and Giddings Ave. (E. 71st St.), at the time an almost rural area. It became the first country day school in the Midwest, if not in the entire U.S. Originally the school trained boys from grades 5-12, adding lower grades a few years later. Despite the emphasis on manual training, college preparation was still a primary consideration. The pattern of placing graduates in the best colleges, especially Ivy League ones, has been consistent in the school's history. Univ. School's success has been due in large part to its headmasters. Probably the one who most clearly defined Univ. School was HARRY A. PETERS†, who began teaching at the school in 1902 and was headmaster from 1908-47. In 1926 he oversaw the school's move to Claythorne & Brantley Rds. in SHAKER HTS. During World War II, classes were offered in navigation and engine mechanics. The racial barrier was broken in 1963 when Carl Stokes's son was accepted. Uniform requirements were lessened. Coeducation was considered, but after lengthy discussion University reaffirmed its all-boys status in 1991. In 1970, with enrollments increasing, a second campus for grades 9-12 was added at 2785 SOM Center Rd. in HUNTING VALLEY; in 1990 the Wean Research Library was added to the Hunting Valley campus. In 1995 Univ. School was the only all-male independent school in the Cleveland area. It was also a member of the Cleveland Council of Independent Schools, which also included Hawken, Hathaway Brown, and Laurel schools. The headmaster in 1995 was Richard Hawley and enrollment for grades K-12 was over 800.

Paige, Roy C. The U.S. Story: 75th Anniversary (1965).

Hawley, Richard. Hail University! A Century of University School Life (1990).

Molten, Donald C. We are U.S.! A 100 Year Athletic History (1990).

Last Modified: 08 Jul 2003 08:58:43 AM

Related Article(s)

Related Link(s)
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University