37TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The 37TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1861-65, was one of 3 Ohio CIVIL WAR regiments consisting primarily of immigrant Germans. Approximately 152 Clevelanders served in this regiment. The 37th was organized at Camp Brown (see CIVIL WAR CAMPS IN CLEVELAND) during Aug. and Sept. 1861. It left for Camp Dennison, OH, at the end of September and was mustered into federal service on 2 Oct. 1861. The 37th was assigned to the following units: Benham's Brigade, District of the Kanawha (Oct. 1861-Mar. 1862); 2d Brigade, Kanawha Div., Dept. of the Mountains (Mar.-May 1862); 2d Brigade, Kanawha Div. (May-Aug. 1862); District of Kanawha, Dept. of the Ohio (Aug.-Dec. 1862); Ewing's Brigade, Kanawha Div. (Dec. 1862-Jan. 1863); 3d Brigade, 2d Div., 15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee (Jan.-Oct. 1863); 2d Brigade, 2d Div., 15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee (Nov. 1863-May 1865); and Dept. of Arkansas (June-Aug. 1865). The regiment took part in the battles of Logan Court House and Vicksburg, and Sherman's March to the Sea. The 37th was mustered out on 7 Aug. 1865 at Little Rock, AR. Its members were discharged and paid off at Camp Cleveland, OH, after 12 Aug. 1865. The regiment lost 9 officers and 102 enlisted men to hostile causes and 1 officer and 94 enlisted men to disease.
Last Modified: 24 Aug 2002 07:15:02 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University