ST. JOHN HOSPITAL - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
ST. JOHN HOSPITAL (St. John of God Hospital), located at 7911 Detroit Ave., provided medical services on Cleveland's west side from 18901990. It was opened by the Sisters of St. Francis, of Lafayette, IN, on land purchased by Bp. RICHARD GILMOUR† with a gift from W. J. Gordon. In 1916 Bp. JOHN FARRELLY† asked the SISTERS OF CHARITY OF ST. AUGUSTINE to take over administration of the hospital and establish the St. John Hospital School of Nursing (closed in 1971). The first department of physical therapy in Ohio was established at the hospital in 1920. In 1940 St. John installed a million-volt x-ray unit, the second of its kind in the U.S., which provided advanced radiotherapy for cancer patients. Extensive renovation occurred in 1980 and 1982. The general acute-care hospital had 200 beds in 1986 and 2 urgent-care centers, Clifton Care (W. 115th St. and Clifton Blvd.) and Brooklyn Care Center (4370 Ridge Rd.). St. John co-owned, with the West Shore Osteopathic Hospital, ST. JOHN WEST SHORE HOSPITAL (29000 Center Ridge Rd., WESTLAKE), and was a subsidiary member of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine Health & Human Services. Due to a $10 million loss over 4 years, on 9 April 1990 the hospital closed everything but its emergency room, which closed in Sept. 1993.
Last Modified: 22 Jul 1997 03:59:34 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University