PARMA HEIGHTS - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
PARMA HEIGHTS, separated from the original Parma Twp. in 1911 and incorporated as a city in 1959, is located southwest of Cleveland and is bounded by BROOK PARK and MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS on the west and PARMA on the north, east, and south. It occupies 4.13 sq. mi. The early settlers were predominantly GERMANS and lived on family farms, with a few commercial establishments and country inns located along the Wooster Pike (Pearl Rd.), the main road from Cleveland to Columbus. The village of Parma Hts. was formed because residents perceived a lack of representation. Natural gas and electric utilities were introduced into the area in 1915. Population growth was slow, and a rural atmosphere remained until after World War II. The population was 300 in 1915, 900 in 1920, and only 1,330 by 1940. Like other SUBURBS, Parma Hts. benefited from the post-World War II exodus from Cleveland. Housebuilding boomed, and the population grew to 3,901 by 1950. It stood at 21,448 in 1990 and 21,659 in 2000. In 1953 a new charter was adopted, modifying the mayor-council form of government and providing for a greater degree of home rule. By the mid-1970s, 98% of the residential and 96% of the commercial acreage was developed. With little industry, Parma Hts. serves as home to many businesses and has more than 200 office structures. It is included in the Parma School District, along with the cities of Parma and SEVEN HILLS. There are 6 churches, 97 acres of city parks, a branch of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM (CCPL), and recreational facilities, including a municipal swimming pool, an ice rink, and the Greenbrier Commons Community Theater. An additional 136 acres of the city are part of the Big Creek Reservation of the CLEVELAND METROPARKS.
Last Modified: 29 Jun 2003 02:02:29 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University