HAYDN, HIRAM COLLINS (11 Dec. 1831-31 July 1913), pastor of FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (OLD STONE) and president of Western Reserve University, was born in Pompey, N.Y., to David E. and Lucinda (Cooley) Haydn. He graduated from Amherst College in 1856, and received a D.D. from Union Theological Seminary in 1859. He served pastorates in Connecticut before coming to Ohio in 1866 as pastor of the First Congregational Church of Painesville. Haydn was called to be associate pastor of Old Stone Church in 1871 and soon after succeeded Rev. Wm. Henry Goodrich as senior pastor, remaining until 1880 when he became secretary of the Congregational Mission Board in New York. He returned to Cleveland in 1884 to resume his pastorate at Old Stone and serve 2 years as president of WRU, where he was instrumental in founding the College for Women, with the assistance and support of FLORA STONE MATHER†, an influential church member and university benefactor. Mrs. Mather gave the university the building that carried Haydn's name. As pastor of Old Stone, Haydn was a visible leader in the community. He was involved in founding Goodrich House (see GOODRICH-GANNETT NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER), a settlement house sponsored by the church; the PRESBYTERIAN UNION, which he served as president from 1907 until his death; and many Cleveland-area Presbyterian churches initially sponsored by Old Stone. His second Old Stone pastorate lasted until 1902, when he became pastor emeritus.
Haydn married twice, to Elizabeth Coit in 1851 and, following her death, to Sarah Merriman in 1864. He had four children: Charles R., Mrs. E.W. Haines, Howell M., and Mrs. Frederic Hitchings. Haydn was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.Last Modified: 17 Jul 1997 02:45:57 PM