EPWORTH-EUCLID UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The EPWORTH-EUCLID UNITED METHODIST CHURCH is descended from Cleveland's earliest Methodist societies, having been formed in 1919 from 2 historic congregations: Euclid Ave. Methodist Episcopal and Epworth Memorial Church. For over 60 years the congregation has occupied a UNIVERSITY CIRCLE landmark, nicknamed the "Holy Oil Can" because of its tall copper spire. The Euclid Ave. Methodist Episcopal Church began with Methodist classes at DOAN'S CORNERS in 1831. A church building, known as Doan St. Methodist Episcopal, was constructed in 1837 on Doan (E. 105th) St. A second building was built in 1870 and razed in 1885. In 1887 a new building went up on EUCLID AVE.. at Oakdale (E. 93rd), and the church became known as Euclid Ave. Methodist Episcopal.
Epworth Memorial Methodist Episcopal looked to the Erie St. Methodist Episcopal Church, formed in 1850 and located on Erie St. (E. 9th) between Eagle St. and Ohio (Central Ave.), as its predecessor. In 1875 the Erie St. Church purchased a building on the corner of Prospect and Huntington (E. 18th) and became known as the Prospect St. or Christ Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1882 a merger took place with a mission church at Prospect and Willson St. (E. 55th), known as Cottage Chapel (started by Rev. DILLON PROSSER† in 1875). The merger produced Central Methodist Episcopal, where the EPWORTH LEAGUE for young people was formed on 14 May 1889. Central was renamed Epworth Memorial when a new building was built in 1891-93. Yet another church, Scovill Ave. Methodist Episcopal, was merged into Epworth Memorial in 1895.
In 1919-20 the Euclid Ave. and Epworth Memorial congregations merged, creating the Epworth-Euclid Methodist Church and constructing a large building between E. 107th St. and Chester Ave. (1907 E. 107th St.). Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue was commissioned to design the church shortly before his death in 1924. Plans were completed by Goodhue's firm in association with the Cleveland firm of Walker & Weeks. Construction began in 1926 and was completed in 1928. The building is a modern adaptation of Gothic themes. The exterior is ornamented with figures by New York sculptor Leo Friedlander. On the interior, the roof is supported by 4 great arches, with a large rose window, arched transept windows, and 4 small lancets in the tower, the only openings. T. Owen Bonawit and Howard G. Wilbert designed the stained glass windows. The entire structure is faced in Plymouth granite. In 1961 Wade Park Methodist Church, organized in 1892 on the corner of Wade Park and Marcy avenues, was merged into Epworth-Euclid Church. In 1992 the church renovated its 80-rank echo organ, one of only 3 or 4 such instruments in the country. The organ was installed in the spire when the church was built. In the early 1990s, Epworth-Euclid Church promoted an open-door policy: community groups offered day care and child development in the building and area , music students utilized church rehearsal rooms. In 2000, the church had active outreach groups and ministries for college students, young adults and young couples.
McMillin, Janice. "A Guide to Epworth-Euclid Church and Its Stained Glass Windows."
Epworth-Euclid United Methodist Church, <http://www.epworth-euclid.org/>
Last Modified: 30 Jul 2002 06:48:40 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University