ELDREDGE, HEZEKIAH (3 April 1795-25 Aug. 1845) was an architect and master builder in OHIO CITY (CITY OF OHIO), and the architect-builder of the historic ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH on West 26th Street, Cleveland's oldest standing church.
Born in Salisbury, Connecticut, to Micah and Ann (Hanks) Eldredge, Hezekiah was raised in Weedsport, New York. In 1815 he joined the state militia, rising to the rank of captain. Eldrege left the militia in 1824, working first as a carpenter, then as an architect and builder. He moved to Rochester in 1825 where he constructed houses, banks, and stores in western New York and repaired boats for the Erie Canal trade.
Eldredge came to Cleveland in May 1834, settling in Ohio City, and established his own building business, including a shop and lumberyard. Among his more important projects were the Ohio City Exchange (1835), the Cleveland Center Block (1836), the Baptist Meeting House in Brooklyn (1836), the Pearl Street House (1837), and numerous warehouses on the river's edge. He became chief engineer of OHIO CITY (CITY OF OHIO) in 1837.
In 1836 Eldredge became a charter member of St. John's Church and contracted with St. John's Building Committee to construct the church. Completed in 1838, it is the sole remaining example here of Eldrege's work.
The panic of 1837 damaged Eldredge's career and, in 1841, he declared bankruptcy. His last major project was the Merchants' Hotel, built in 1844.
Eldredge married Fanny Maria Lacey on 18 Dec. 1814 (dec. 1833). They had eight children, George, Alonzo, Fanny, Hiram, Sarah, Helen, Ann and Celia. Eldredge married Eunice Kellogg on 5 Nov. 1833. They had three children, Hezekiah Jr., Mary, and Franklin.
Rusk, Sarah E. "Hezekiah Eldredge, Architect-Builder of St. John's Church, Cleveland, Ohio." Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians (1966).
Last Modified: 16 Jul 1997 09:46:18 AM
Hezekiah Eldredge Family Papers, WRHS.
- Related Article(s)