CHANDLER-CLEVELAND MOTORS CORP. - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The CHANDLER-CLEVELAND MOTORS CORP. was established in 1926 by consolidating the Chandler Motor Car and Cleveland Automobile companies, both of which were founded by Frederick C. Chandler (12 July 1874-18 Feb. 1945). A native Clevelander, Chandler worked for the Cleveland Bicycle Co. of Henry A. Lozier, which began to make boats and later automobiles. In Jan. 1913, Chandler and several other Lozier executives organized the Chandler Motor Car company to produce a moderately priced 6-cylinder automobile. With Chandler as president, Charles F. Emise, vice-president and Samuel Regar, treasurer, the firm established an office in the Swetland Bldg. on Euclid Ave., purchased a 6-acre site on E. 131st St. north of St. Clair, and began production in July 1913. The company built 550 cars that sold for $1,785 each that year; production increased to 1,950 automobiles in 1914 and 7,000 in 1915. Chandler's financial success enabled it to expand its facilities in 1915, doubling production capacity to 15,000 automobiles in 1916. During World War I the company also made 10-ton artillery tractors for the army.
The success of the Chandler Motor Car Co. encouraged Chandler to organize the Cleveland Automobile Co. to produce a lower-priced automobile. Founded in Feb. 1919, the new firm began production in July at a 17-acre site on Euclid Ave. near London Rd. Chandler and Regar served on the Board of Directors with John V. Whitbeck as president. The company produced the Cleveland automobile, a 5-passenger touring car that sold for $1,385; 16,000 of them were made in 1920. Chandler Motor Car made 23,832 automobiles that year--the most of any car manufacturer in Cleveland. However, sales, production, and profits declined for both companies in 1921. The two firms consolidated as Chandler-Cleveland Motors Corp. in 1926, and production of the Cleveland car was discontinued. In Dec. 1928 Chandler-Cleveland was sold to the Hupp Motor Car Corp. of Detroit (see HUPP CORP.).Last Modified: 20 Jun 1997 10:27:17 AM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University