BROOKLYN MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
BROOKLYN MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, organized in 1818 as Brooklyn Methodist Episcopal Church, developed out of Methodist classes meeting as early as 1814 in members' homes. The first church organized in BROOKLYN Twp., it is considered the oldest Methodist congregation in the Cleveland area. Church founders included Oziah Sylvanus, and Seth Brainard and Ebenezer Fish. Congregants worshipped in the Brooklyn Twp. Hall until a log building was erected in 1827 at the northeast corner of Denison and Pearl streets. The building had separate entrances for men and women. A new frame church was built on the same site in 1849 and later moved to a lot on Greenwood (Archwood) Ave., west of Pearl (W. 25th St.). A brick Gothic building was dedicated on the Archwood site in 1882. In 1896 the church changed its name to Brooklyn Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church.
With continued population growth in the area, membership increased and by 1911 a new building was begun at 2607 Archwood Ave. Dedicated in 1914, the late Gothic Revival building features twin square towers, square projecting bays, a 6-sided dome with arched windows, and an Akron-style interior with a balcony. A service celebrating the Centenary of Cleveland Methodism was held in the church in Sept. 1918, with former Ohio governor Frank B. Willis speaking. In 1968 the church changed its name to Brooklyn Memorial United Methodist Church. The church has maintained an active Sunday school, women's society, and youth and senior citizens' programs. Membership stood at approx. 120 in the early 1990s.
Last Modified: 04 Jun 1998 10:30:39 AM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University